Fairgoers to the 2018 Clay County Fair will have more than 30 new foods to try during their visit Sept. 8-16, including five that have been named as finalists for the third edition of the “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest.
“Fantastic food is a highlight for many fairgoers,” said Fair Manager Jeremy Parsons. “The quality and uniqueness of food found at the Fair is second-to-none.”
“The World’s Greatest County Fair Food” Contest will be judged on Saturday, Sept. 8 at 1:45 p.m. on the Coca-Cola Atlantic Bottling Stage with one entry taking home the title, “The World’s Greatest County Fair Food.”
‘The World’s Greatest County Fair Food’ finalists
The five finalists (and vendors) are as follows:
Pickle Popper (TnT Concessions) – A whole dill pickle cut in two then stuffed with cream cheese, shredded cheese, bacon, jalapenos and mandarin oranges. Finally, dipped in a batter and deep fried.
Barnyard Burger (Spencer Jaycees) – Comprised of a tender chicken breast, a juicy 1/3 lb hamburger, and a succulent pork loin all layered with 3 different cheeses of your choice (Swiss, American, and/or pepper jack). Fairgoers can also choose to add extra toppings such as, jalapeños, sautéed onions, and mushrooms.
Spudnater (Wyman’s Spudnuts) – A chocolate glazed donut coated with a chocolate frosting, topped with mini chocolate chips, and drizzled with a chocolate ganache.
Tiny Tators (Eat It) – Tiny whole potatoes boiled and fried, then covered in a buttery garlic ranch sauce and topped with parmesan cheese.
Smoked Mac-N-Cheese (Gobblestop Turkey Shop, LLC) – Creamy, cheesy mac n cheese smoked to perfection and served hot and ready.
An added category this year is a “People’s Choice” Award. Fairgoers can sample the five finalists and cast their vote at any of the Fair’s information booths from Saturday, Sept. 8 – Tuesday, Sept. 11. The winner will be announced on Wednesday, Sept. 12 during the Fair.
More new foods
Other new foods at the upcoming Fair include:
- Duck wontons (Benoit Distributing Company)
- Polish sausage corn dogs (Campbell’s Concessions, Inc.)
- Muffins (Creative Cakes by Mindy)
- Rolled ice cream (Dough Boys)
- Chicken City (Eat It!)
- Smoked Chicken Legs (Eat It!)
- Chicken gizzards and livers (Eat It!)
- Orange frosty (Eat It! Everything Orange)
- Orange slush (Eat It! Everything Orange)
- Orange shakeup monkey ice (Eat It! Everything Orange)
- Breakfast taco wrap (Jones Lunch)
- Stuffed pickles (Judy’s Husband’s Stuffed Pickles)
- Bacon ice cream sundae (Kiwanis After 5)
- Muffins (Kiwanis Club – Daybreakers)
- Reuben (traditional) (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Rachel Ruben (turkey Ruben) (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Cuban (pulled pork Ruben) (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Vegetarian (veggie Ruben) (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Deep-fried grilled cheese (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Deep-fried brownies (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Frozen hot chocolate (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Frozen Lemonade (McCreary’s Creative Catering)
- Maple cotton candy (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Maple lollipops (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Pure maple syrup (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Maple bourbon aged syrup (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Maple cream (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Apple cider syrup (Morley’s Maple Syrup)
- Chocolate mint muddy buddies (Spencer Area Shrine Club ATV)
- Luau sandwich (Spencer Jaycees)
- Spudnut burger (Spencer Jaycees)
- Custom-made wood-fired pizza (Stump’s Wood-Fired Pizza)
- Thelma’s handmade ice cream sandwiches (Thelma’s Treats)
- The Original Minneapple Pie (The Original Minneapple Pie)
- European licorice ropes (Timbo’s Licorice Ropes)
- Danish coffee cake (Village Café)
- Handcrafted wild rice and beef burgers (Westrum Quality Foods)
Find the Food
The Fair has made it easier to find your favorite food by using the Food Finder at claycountyfair.com. The food finder allows you to search and locate your old and new favorite foods.
About The Clay County Fair & Events Center
Rooted in Tradition, the Clay County Fair and Events Center is a year-round facility that annually hosts more than 300 events, including its signature event, the Clay County Fair. Known as “The World’s Greatest County Fair” since 1917, the Clay County Fair attracts more than 325,000 guests each September for nine-days of world-class entertainment, competition, food, fun, and the largest farm machinery show at any fair in the United States. Additional information can be found at claycountyfair.com.
Got news to share? Submit your company, organization or group’s news via email.