Spencer Municipal Utilities has made the first change in the transition to a new billing software provider for their utility account customers. SMU utility accounts include services for electric, water and City of Spencer sewer and garbage charges.
SMU’s current software programs are not all integrated, and the National Information Solutions Cooperative (NISC) platform will integrate many programs for better efficiency. With NISC, a
not-for-profit cooperative, SMU is looking forward to better using technology and giving customers more account options to meet busy lifestyles.
“SMU staff has been working to make the transition as smooth as possible for customers and depending on how they currently pay their bill, they may not notice many changes,” says Amanda Gloyd, SMU marketing and community relations manager.
Last week, the new software became in place for utility (electric, water, city charges) statements. In preparation for the new software, SMU utility statements as well as SMU communication statements, share a due date of the 20th of the month. In the early planning stages of this transition, SMU anticipated the total for communications being included in the new statements, however, they are going to remain on the separate statements at this time. Eventually, all SMU services will appear on one statement.
With the new system, there are several convenient options for making payments:
– Automatic bank draft. Customers already on automatic bank draft will not need to do anything different when paying SMU statements. The amount due will automatically be taken out of the account on the due date. If customers want to sign up for this option, feel free to contact SMU customer service.
– Payments can be made securely through the SMU website and the SmartHub app on mobile devices. Any SMU customer can use the ‘Make a One Time Payment’ option through SMU’s website.
– Utility payments can be paid securely over the phone with a credit/debit card 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with our new voice automated system by calling 712-580-5800. At this time communication payments will not be able to be made with a credit/debit card by phone.
– The payment drop box is available in SMU’s front parking lot.
– SMU’s customer service center is available Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
“If customers have any questions on the process or need assistance in finding the best way to pay
their SMU statements, they can certainly give our customer service center a call at 580.5800,” adds Gloyd.
SMU customers are encouraged to continue to watch for additional information as this is completes the first part of the multi-year conversion process.
Spencer Municipal Utilities is a leading provider of cable, internet, and telephone service in the Spencer community and has been providing water since 1886 and electric services since 1901.