Spencer restaurants and coffee shops are getting the word out about how their operations will be affected by a health emergency declared today by Gov. Kim Reynolds.
The health emergency, issued to combat the spread of COVID-19 in Iowa, ordered the closures of many businesses, including dining areas of restaurants and bars, at noon Tuesday.
However, according to the governor’s proclamation, restaurants and other similar businesses can still provide delivery, curbside pick-up and to-go services. Drive-thrus may also remain open.
The restrictions on restaurants and bars set in the proclamation are in effect through March 31.
Even with those options still available, restaurants and similar businesses will likely face financial pressure in the weeks ahead.
Jessica Dunker, Iowa Restaurant Association President and CEO, told Radio Iowa today that “significant” aid packages from the state and federal government may be needed to keep some restaurants alive.
The restaurant and beverage industry is the second-largest private sector employer in the state with more than 153,700 employees, according to the association’s website.
Spencer restaurants’ plans
While many of Spencer’s restaurants, coffee shops and other establishments have chosen to continue offering to-go operations, some have decided not to remain open at this time.
Here are the updates that are available. For more, view this restaurants and businesses listing from the Spencer Chamber of Commerce.
- BlackEarth Java is open.
- Carroll’s Bakery will be open for takeout only.
- China 1 Buffet is accepting to-go and delivery orders.
- Chen’s Garden is accepting takeout orders.
- DejaBrew in Spencer is closing until further notice as of 1:30 p.m. March 20.
- Family Table Restaurant is closed.
- Godfather’s Pizza is accepting delivery and carryout orders. A statement indicated hours may vary.
- Hy-Vee is temporarily closing its in-store dining. Prepared options from food service areas will be available to shoppers. Hy-Vee’s hours have also changed to 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily.
- Jimmy John’s is accepting pickup, curbside and delivery orders.
- Kazarelli’s On The River indicated it will be open for take out orders.
- KFC is offering carryout and drive-thru only until further notice.
- Monterrey is only taking carryout and delivery orders.
- Papa Murphy’s is proceeding under its normal carryout operations.
- Pizza Ranch is taking pickup and delivery orders.
- Plaza Mexico is offering take out orders.
- The Prime Rib is closed.
- Sammy’s Italian Pasta and Pizza is taking to-go and delivery orders.
- Sisters Mainstreet Cafe stated it will be closed “until March 31 or further notice.”
- Spencer Golf and Country Club is offering carryout for its full menu.
- The Sports Page is closed.
- Taqueria el Tapatio is taking curbside orders and free delivery on orders of $20 or more.
- Weasy’s Lounge and Grille will still do carry out, curbside and delivery orders in Spencer with prepayment.
The Spencer Chamber of Commerce Other restaurants with drive-thrus are also keeping that portion of their business open. Call ahead to confirm.
Business owners: Did we miss your restaurant? We want to help you share your plans. Send us an email and we will add your food service business to this list.