Spencer High School drama department has received the following honors through the Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards, presented by EMC Insurance Companies, for its November production of “The Hunchback of Notre Dame.”
Outstanding Overall Technical and Creative Achievement
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Rhyan Busch as “Quasimodo” **Triple Threat Nomination
- Outstanding Performance in a Principal Role – Natalie Kroll as “Esmeralda” **Triple Threat Nomination
- Outstanding Publicity – Kyle Goeken
- Outstanding Costume Design – Natalie Kroll
- Special Recognition for Performance in a Principal Role – Kyle Goeken as “Claude Frollo”
- Special Recognition for Properties – Rhyan Busch
- Special Recognition for Set Construction – Serenity Kollasch
- Special Recognition for Community Support
Due to COVID-19, Des Moines Performing Arts earlier announced that the 2020 Iowa High School Musical Theater Awards Showcase scheduled for June 1, 2020 at the Des Moines Civic Center has been cancelled.
In this unprecedented time of social distancing, theaters ranging from Broadway to high school auditoriums are dark across the country. In addition to impacting the year-end IHSMTA Showcase, a significant number of participating school productions were unable to be performed as scheduled due to school closures.
Despite these challenges, the IHSMTA program remains committed to supporting students and drama programs across the state during this time. “It is important to uplift all 86 schools in the program, regardless of whether they had the opportunity to perform their shows for their school communities,” said Education Program Coordinator Sarah Florian.
To that end, a special Digital IHSMTA Showcase has been launched online. It features videos, photo galleries and other special content from schools and students from across the state, with new content added regularly.
“We hope the Digital IHSMTA Showcase can serve as a virtual stage for Iowa’s talented and hardworking theater students,” said Florian. Students and the public can explore the Digital IHSMTA Showcase by visiting dmpa.org/digital-ihsmta-showcase
In addition, the IHSMTA program is hosting a series of virtual webinars and master classes for participating students throughout April and May. The learning opportunities will cover a variety of performance and technical topics, such as stage management, dance, college auditions, and weekly Broadway trivia.
“We are thrilled to find creative ways to make sure that Iowa’s theater students are seen and that they know that the IHSMTA family is here for them during this time,” said Florian.