The City of Spencer will begin to reopen some city facilities in phases.
Those reopenings are:
- Tennis courts effective May 19
- City campground effective Friday, May 22
- City hall effective June 1
- Library with limited services available effective June 1
Basketball courts, playgrounds, the aquatic center and Pedersen Park Fields remain closed.
Social distancing measures will be in place at city hall and at the campground.
At the city council meeting on Monday, City Manager Amanda Mack said playgrounds are still closed because Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds has not yet lifted those orders and in a recent press conference “did allude to the notion that those would be closed for a while.”
Mack also said that aquatic centers have been a “hot topic” among city managers. Some cities have decided not to reopen their pools this year, she said.
“I think we should wait a while yet and see what sort of guidance we get from the state,” Mack added.
A decision on whether the aquatic center must open does not have to be made until July.
The city will also resume public meetings on June 1. In-person attendance will be limited to 10. Online platforms will continue to be used.
City sets campground rules
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fspenceriowacity%2Fposts%2F906282136518582&width=500" width="500" height="632" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Campers at East Leach Campground will need self-contained units with bathrooms and showers. Modern facilities, showers and water fountains at the campground are closed.
Some campsites will be closed to allow for social distancing. Other rules will apply, too, including:
- Reservations required. Online payments only through city website.
- Only campers allowed. No guests.
- 14-day stay limit unless there is an established permitted system for high-risk professions or Iowa Department of Transportation construction workers
- Limit of number of people at a campsite following state guidelines for gatherings and social distancing